The EVRMC Vision
EVRMC will be a Globally Competitive Center of Excellence in Health Care Delivery recognised for innovative patient-centerer services, for relevant researches that contribute to medical breakthroughs and health policy development, and as the leading health professions training resource in Region 8 by 2030.
16 July 2015
Message of Dra. Aileen Espina, EVRMC OIC-Medical Centre Chief during the 99th year founding anniversary of EVRMC emphasising the vision of EVRMC.
Being Stronger. Being Better. Being Faster. Being Great in what you do.
Mastering your craft and trying to improve it everyday in our workplace.
This is the culture of excellence that we are trying to nurture. But excellence without purpose or vision is useless. Aside from being stronger, better, faster, we must know why. Our vision will always remind us of who we are and why we are here.
I implore upon you to live up on the ideals of this vision: "A Globally Competitive Center of Excellence in Health Care Service Delivery."
The EVRMC Mission
To lead the delivery of quality resilient health care services as the end and referral hospital of Region 8, especially to the vulnerable population by engaging empowered, compassionate, and highly skilled health personnel, offering health professions training and conducting relevant searches.
The EVRMC Core Values
- Lifelong desire to achieve higher levels of standards for the organization
- Rallying people behind a dream or vision of something that as yet has been out of reach
- Leadership with a focus on the future managing for innovation to create new value
- Strength in the face of adversity
- The ability to rebound quickly from misfortune or change
- Strict adherence to moral values and principles
- Integrates moral decision-making in all processes
- Deep awareness of the suffering of the people coupled with the wish t relieve it
- The humane aspect of medicine
- The art of medicine
The History of EVRMC
The Eastern Visayas Regional Medical Center (EVRMC), then known as the Leyte Provincial Hospital, first opened doors to the public in July 16, 1916 at Jones Street with an authorized bed capacity of 14. With increasing demand, the hospital was relocated (to its present site) and a new building was constructed in 1925. In 1936, the hospital was further expanded to 40 beds and the new building was inaugurated by President Manuel L. Quezon. In 1952, the bed capacity of the hospital was further increased to 100 in order to cope with the rising health needs of the growing population. On July 6, 1970, the hospital expanded its role in the region by formally opening the Leyte Provincial Hospital School of Nursing, the 7th School of Nursing under the Department of Health. It was then the only school of Nursing in Leyte and Samar. The hospital’s Annex Maternity and Family Planning Units were temporarily converted into classrooms, laboratories and offices for said nursing school.
In 1972, then Congressman Artemio Mate filed a bill to increase the hospital’s bed capacity from 100 to 250 and to change its name to Speaker Daniel Z. Romualdez Memorial Hospital. This bill lapsed into a law in July 22, 1972.
The Department of Health in 1973 by virtue of R.A. 6527, designated the hospital as a regional teaching hospital with an authorized bed capacity of 250. Aside from being the only teaching and training hospital in Eastern Visayas, it is also the end referral hospital of all government hospitals in the Region. The salient provision of R.A. 6527 was the merging of the three hospitals (the Tacloban City Hospital, the Leyte Provincial Hospital and the Speaker Daniel Z. Romualdez Memorial Hospital) into one. The ensuing years were witness to the growth of the hospital in terms of infrastructure and service delivery. In 1977, review of hospital records revealed a total number of 7,869 admitted patients and 61,747 cases served at the Out-Patient Department. A notable event in this period as well was the integration of the Regional Laboratory with the SDZR Memorial Hospital.
In 1984, by virtue of the Residency Training Law saw the upgrading of the different clinical departments. This resulted to the accreditation of the Clinical Departments under the Manpower program and the Specialty Societies concerned. At present, the following Residency Training Programs are all accredited by their respective Specialty Societies: Internal Medicine (Philippine College of Physicians), General Surgery (Philippine College of Surgeons), Pediatrics (Philippine Pediatric Society), Obstetrics and Gynecology (Philippine Obstetrics & Gynecologic Society), Pathology (Philippine Society of Pathology), Anesthesia (Philippine Society of Anesthesia) and Family & Community Medicine (Philippine Academy of Family Physicians). The Residency Program of the Department of Radiology was suspended since 2008 because the hospital has no CT Scan yet while the Residency Programs of the Departments of Orthopedics, Psychiatry, Ophthalmology and ENT are currently preparing themselves for accreditation as well.
After the EDSA revolution in 1986, SDZR was renamed Tacloban City Medical Center per Memorandum Order No. 48, Office of the President dated November 12, 1986. Construction and reconstruction of the new hospital buildings and other infrastructure were started in 1987 and are still on-going at present. Since 2007, a lot of Rehabilitations of buildings had been done. The hospital façade was improved, covered catwalks were constructed, two (2)bays of PhilHealth Semi-Private wards (54 beds) were functionalized after rehabilitation of two (2) idle spaces. The Emergency Room (ER) was rehabilitated thru the assistance and support of Cong. Ferdinand Martin G. Romualdez. The Medical and Pediatric Wards were rehabilitated in 2008. In 2009, the Ortho-EENT, Central ICU and Dialysis Sections were rehabilitated. For 2010, programs are the completion of OPD, Conversion of Social Hall to Private Rooms (18 single bed rooms), and Construction of Social Hall on top of the Maintenance Building. Construction of overhead tank for Waste Water Treatment discharge, construction of cistern for Rain Water from the buildings, downspouts, rehabilitation of the Laboratory and part of Administrative building will be rehabilitated to Medical Records for easy accessibility to the public.
On March 24, 1992 by virtue of Republic Act No. 7879, TCMC was renamed as the Eastern Visayas Regional Medical Center (EVRMC). Since then, and despite meager resources, both medical and non-medical personnel of EVRMC try its best to address the medical requirements of its clientele, especially the indigent and needy families of Region VIII.
In 2008, Congressmen Ferdinand Martin G. Romualdez and Florencio “Bem” Noel introduced a bill that would increase the Bed Capacity of EVRMC from 250 to 500, upgrading its service and facilities and professional health care, authorizing the increase of its Personnel and Appropriating funds thereof. It was later signed into law (R.A. 9793) by President Gloria Macapagal Arroyo on November 19, 2009.
To address the manpower deficiency in the Administrative support service, the Management Committee has authorized Ninety-four (94) job orders (contract workers) spread on several units and sections. The Management Committee has come out with the Five (5) Year Development Plan (2010 – 2014) to address the needs of a 500 bed Medical Center.
The EVRMC today is a modern, tertiary level four (4) teaching and training hospital conveniently located along Magsaysay Boulevard, Tacloban City. Its 15 buildings occupy a total land area of 25, 639.36 square meters on land owned by the Provincial Government of Leyte. Its present location is conducive for prompt medical assistance to the people of Region VIII since it is accessible and strategically located midway between Samar and Leyte.